Oh man, this has been such a good week! I know that numbers shouldn't mean anything, and I always remind myself that when we have a week with very low numbers. But just looking at our numbers this week reminds me of how good of a week it was! We met our goal of member present lessons with 6! Thats been our goal for a while and its always so hard to get 6 members to come with us to different lessons throughout the week, but we did it! We also had a goal of 4 other lessons (because we are usually averaging about 10 lessons a week) and this week we taught 12 other lessons!!! On top of that we taught 4 less actives, found 5 new investigators, and did service for this potential.
Okay, I need to interrupt the email to expound more on the service we did this week. Usually on Wednesdays we do service at the YMCA doing paperwork and such. This Wednesday about an hour before we needed to go to the Y the Lafayette 1st ward elders called us and said they were moving a potential investigator from their area to ours and needed help. So we decided this would be a better service opportunity than the Y, so we called them and told them we couldn't make it, and met up with the elders to help this lady move. Okay... she was super funny and really nice, but she was a hoarder, worse than I have ever seen on any of those TV shows. We were helping her unpack stuff while the elders helped carry in heavy things, and seriously she had 2 garbage bags FULL of different purses. She tells us that she goes through trash to get free things, and its not even something she will need, but if its in good condition she will grab it because maybe someone she will know needs it! She got kicked out of her last house by the Mayor because of some problem with her helping gang members or something... and so she had to be out by a deadline and she was saying how much she appreciated that she could call the elders and a bunch of us showed up. I felt good about helping her, but it was probably the most disgusting thing I have done thus far. I felt like a shrink on Buried Alive... "Do you NEED this?" "No but I like it..." "Okay well you already have 3, will you use this?" "Well I haven't yet but maybe I will..." "Okay we are going to give this one to Goodwill then" "But..." Oh man, the job of a missionary is always exciting!!! We tried to bring up the gospel while we did it but it really just wasn't a good setting.... we are planning on stopping by in a couple weeks to see if she is interested in learning about Christ!
Okay, back to the amazing week, we were very busy all week long, and it has gone into this next week too! We have back to back appointments all day Wednesday. We won't even have time to find new investigators! Thats my favorite thing too! I used to wish my days looked like this, but now I see back to back appts and wish that we had time to tract. I love knocking on doors! Its kinda like a super fun rush when you start talking to someone and they talk back! Oh man I love it so much!!!
Tomorrow we have Zone Conference, which I'm excited about, but it knocks out a whole day of work! I think I'd rather be finding and teaching than sitting in a conference all day listening to how we need to take better care of our cars and how to avoid bed bugs. But speaking of conferences, I am super DUPER excited about one in March, because Elder Ballard and the General Bishop are going to be in Indy talking to all of the missionaries!!! BEST DAY EVER! My first apostle to visit my mission, its gonna be so great!
Sister Guy and I have been speculating about whats going to happen next transfer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay in Lafayette the rest of my mission, but she thinks I'm outa here in a month... sad day! I hate to even think about saying goodbye to everyone here, so I'm just not going to think about it, the next transfers are still 4 weeks away! In the mean time I'm just gonna teach everyone in Lafayette and its gonna be great!!!
Last thing, we had one of my best lessons my whole mission on Friday night. We started by following up on her Book of Mormon reading, and she starts to tell us how much she loves this book. How it goes hand in hand with the bible (she has been using the footnotes) and how it has brought so much clarity to questions she has always had and never knew where to look for the answers. This was her 2nd lesson!!!!!! I have never seen someone grab hold of the Book of Mormon as fast as she has! She just loves it and loves how much she is learning from it. When we taught her the Plan of Salvation she would ask amazing questions that we had answers for! And she just knew that everything we said made sense and that it was true! We are going to invite her to be baptized next! OH MAN OH MAN!!! Missionary work is so great its insane! I always knew I wanted to serve, and its lessons like that and weeks like this that really remind me why I had this desire to come out here! I love it so so so so so so so much!!!!
BEST WEEK EVER!!!
Sister Cordner

0 comments:
Post a Comment