Yesterday I had a little bit of time, so I thought I would give a little teaser update of a few short things going on. Well now I have a little more time, like 20 minutes, to write a real blog!
I have been LOVING my job! The first couple of days of the semester were horrible, I'm not going to lie. I called my mom and asked her if it was too late for me to quit and find a new major! But mostly it was bad because it was so busy with patients and all the new students getting trained, and a lot of other things.
So you may remember the post that I said I got the new job, but I don't think I have actually said what it is I do. As the Operations Lead, I am in charge of anything that has to do with day to day operations. Think of The Office, when Jim got hired to do the day-to-day manager stuff... I'm the Jim in this scenario! I work with the students in the front as well as the students in the back and make sure they are doing their job right. I work with the schedules of the day to day and making sure each Provider gets a break when they want one, or move patients around if it doesn't work for that provider. I'm also in charge of the providers schedule, so if one of them want a day off, they email me and I bring it up at the meetings we have each week. I got to a ton of meetings. Thursdays I have a management meeting from 8-9, then a conference call meeting with Provo from 9:15-9:45. Last Thursday we had a lot of people from the University come over and talk to us about what we are doing, so that added 2 more meetings! Every Friday there is a meeting with just the Providers (I say Providers instead of Doctors because some of them are Nurse Practitioners and some of them are Physicians Assistants) and the management team.
Let me explain more on the management team. There are three of us students in these positions. One is the Coordinator, then me, the Operations Lead, and then there is a Training Lead. We are basically running the health center with the help of our mentors. The Coordinators mentor is the Health Centers director, my mentor in the Operations Manager, and the training lead reports to the Head Nurse! The Health Center is now a Student Run Health Center! We are literally running it! Its such an amazing learning experience!
President Henry J. Eyring (Henry B Eyrings son) just wrote a book called the Innovative University. In the book he talks about new ways of learning! He is one of the Vice Presidents here at BYU-Idaho, and he came to the Health Center last week to see what the new management team was about. He said that what we were doing was great, and that if the book hadn't already been released he would have written about us in his book! President Miyaski (another VP of the school but also a general authority) came by as well, he said what we were doing having the students running the center was fulfilling prophecy!
I'm not trying to toot my own horn here... I'm just saying that my job here is kinda a big deal! BYU and BYU Hawaii's health centers have called us and asked us how we are doing it! They are quite impressed! It is giving me all the experience I need to go into the work force after college! I mean I still have 2 semesters left and then a mission after that, but once I'm applying for a real job, I can say... Oh I was the Operations Lead managing 40+ students as we ran a Health Center that had a patient volume of over 13,000 patients! I'm kind of excited!!!
Also... a little unrelated to this post, but it is almost October... so therefore I am listening to Christmas music!!! I think that once it is Fall semester you are allowed to listen to Christmas music! It just fills me with all sorts of happiness. You know what doesn't fill me with happiness though, the fact that my dear Mr. David Archuleta is doing his Christmas tour and going to 3 places in New York, and 4 in California, but not hitting Idaho or Arizona once! And I missed the one in AZ because of work... SO LAME!!! I may go an entire year without seeing him live! Thats kind of a scary thought! hahahaha
6 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment