Friday, February 8

December 10, 2012


I'm not sure what has been happening to make time feel like its 100x faster than it should be... I guess I have just been keeping really busy or something! But time is literally FLYING and I can't believe its already Monday again. Next week is transfers, and since my companion is dying I'm going to be taking her down to Indy next Monday and then spending Monday night and Tuesday with some sisters in Indy, and then I will get my new companion on Wednesday... but until then Sister Stanford and I intend to have the best week ever and convert all of Lafayette!!! 

This past week has been so great! Everything about missionary work is great, have I mentioned how great missionary work is?! haha. We had an exchange this week and I worked with Sister Tagg for a day. She is great and we have a lot in common! She is from Arizona and also has graduated college. She came out the transfer before me but will be going home the same date I will, so we are already planning on living together in Arizona and being awkward RMs together! haha... I loved the exchange because I proved to myself that I don't need my trainer to do missionary work. I can be a real full time missionary all by myself... its like I'm a big kid now! I was really nervous going into it, like I think I will always be, but it ended up being a great day!

Saturday Lafayette had a Christmas Jubilee that a lot of churches hosted. For the last month or so we have had a christmas tree in the church building with ornaments that said "Buy a gift for a 3 year old girl for $5." or "Buy a gift for a 8 year old boy for $15." People were encouraged to take ornaments and bring the gifts to the church building, then on Saturday the whole stake center in West Lafayette was decked out with a room for stocking stuffers and a room for presents, all organized by gender and ages. People signed up to be hosts, and then people who have lived in the homeless shelters during the year were invited to come to a church to participate in the Jubilee. So Sister Stanford and I were hosts, and our girl was Monica. She is 24, has a 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old daughter, and she is about the nicest person I've met! She was so cute and funny and nice, very humble and appreciative. We took her to the rooms to get gifts and she picked out a small and a big gift for each daughter, and then we would go to the cultural hall and wrap them, and then we went and got more gifts. They were all allowed to get three stocking stuffers and three presents for each child they had, if they had a teenager they had gift cards for them. And then they had a plate of cookies and a ham for everyone to take home, and a gift card to the grocery store. It was insane the generosity that went into this. It is done every year and different churches around the city volunteer to host it, and the church members make it all possible! SO COOL!!! Well we counted it as a service project, but it was also a great finding opportunity. Monica loved us and we exchanged information and little does she know, we are thinking of making her our new investigator! haha, but really, she is just great, and we know the gospel can bless her life so much, so we are going to do all we can to help her out! 

I am learning so much on my mission. I had no idea how amazing nice of a life I had until I see how hard SO many people have it... I mean I knew my life was easy, I just had no idea how rare it is to have a life as good as the one I have led up to this point. So many people have had such a hard life, but I have also noticed that a lot of the things that make their lives hard could be avoided by living the Word of Wisdom, the law of Chastity, paying Tithing, keeping all of the commandments, and living in a provident living kind of way. So really I am just so thankful that the Gospel keeps us from so many hardships that are in the world! 

Sister Stanford and I became aunts to two little boys this week. A member of our Bishopric had his little boy this week (they were actually the first family I met on my mission and I just love Sister Harris!) and one of our investigators actually had a problem with her pregnancy and had her baby 2 months early. Little Cooper is doing well, but he will be in the NICU for a while. His mom Amy is doing better, really exhausted, but that is to be expected. We are kind of putting teaching her on hold for right now, but we have visited her in the hospital twice and we are still keeping contact with her, but I think the lessons will have to be but on hold until she is actually able to get out of her hospital bed. We were pretty scared when we heard, but everything is going well, and lots of prayers have been said for her and her family! 

Hmmm... everything else about this week is basically a blur. I love being a missionary and I love Lafayette Indiana! I keep having this nightmare that President is going to have me train a new missionary next transfer and that he will double transfer me out so I will have a brand new missionary and a brand new area and I won't have any idea what I'm doing. So lets just hope that I will be staying here!!! 

I love you all so much! Hope everyone is doing well and as always I look forward to hearing from you all!!!
Sister Cordner


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...